Maps that Show you Where You Are!
Free, and exclusive to Hidden Trenton!
If you like the maps, please thank us by “Liking” us on Facebook…
Ever go hiking and wish you’d brought along a trail map? Or worse, you have a printed map with you, but you’ve not been paying attention. And now you’re kind of lost, and aren’t quite sure where you are on the map? For me, the answer would be yes and yes.
Well, if you have an Iphone or Android smart phone, you’re in luck.
You can tell which of our trail maps will work in a phone, because we added “GR” (for georeferenced) to the end of the filename. These maps are specially encoded PDFs.
Load them into a free app called Avenza Maps, and they’ll display in your phone with your current GPS location. (They also print just fine: they’re tabloid size, but Acrobat will reduce them automatically if you print them on letter-sized paper). Installation instructions follow below the download links…
Click on the links below to download each map
IOS and Android have both made installation much easier than it used to be. For quick installation on an iPhone, follow these instructions, or see the links below from Avenza’s webiste for iPhone and Android:
- On your phone, click on the download links above for the map(s) you want. Note that the free version of Avenza Maps will limit you to at most 3 maps active at one time (you can delete and add maps later if you run into that limit). Your phone will save those maps to a file folder, probably “Downloads”
- Go to the App Store (iPhone) or Play Store (Android) and install Avenza Maps.
- Once it’s fully installed, go to the “My Maps” tab by clicking the icon at the bottom of your screen
- From the My Maps tab, click on the plus sign on the top bar. This opens the Import Map dialog
- Select “From Storage Locations”
- Navigate to your default downloads folder, probably “Downloads”
- Click on the map you want to import. Avenza maps will upload, then process the geographic information, so it may take a minute or so.
- If you want to upload another map, repeat from step 4.